I took my imagination on a summer excursion to the beach this weekend and this is the result. There are a few refinements I will be making before complete but I love these colours and the feel of this so far. Enjoy!
Today was the last day to enter our AWOB juried art show. It was a busy day 🙄. I used to work best under pressure but I’m going to have to rethink that strategy. The last item finished was my 8x10 monoprint of a Brewer’s blackbird which I called “My True Colours”. Shown second, “Gems of Kejimikujik” is an 18x24 oil painting, and my “Fierce” owl is an 11x14 acrylic. Friend and jewelry artist Kathy Dumouchel and I collaborated on the last image, a 16x20 3D work called “Autumn Fields” featuring copper cast wheat made by Kathy (so beautiful) mounted onto a barnwood oval with a painting and copper harvest moon in the background - so much fun!
It’s hard to beat the fun of Gelli printing. I’m learning new techniques during these experiments. I printed two copies of a magpie photo and covered both sides of the paper with clear shelf liner. Then I cut stencils and masks with a craft knife (a heated knife works best). Once complete, I ran a few prints to test and I like how they turned out. I’m slowly compiling quite a few custom stencils. Happy Easter!
I combined two of my photos into a composite for this one. Then I cut a stencil from the new image. I fooled around with some prints and I like the single colour ones the best. How about you? Here are the rest of the pics...
and that’s a wrap for this 30 day painting challenge. I hope you enjoyed it!
lots going on in my studio today... enough that I missed several “rest/stretch” alarms. Oops! Although I’ll likely pay for that later, it was FUN! I consider one or two of these prints complete, the rest are on their way. Here are the steps for interested parties:
Fun fun fun!
I’m loving playing with my Gelli plate again! I enjoy the process of painting this backwards: first the birds, the trees and the white horizon line, next the lines that would be in the sand and the water. I let each of those layers dry before applying a transparent blue, pink and yellow layer over the sky and water and a neutral over the sand. Lastly, a layer of white over the entire surface followed by pulling the print. It’s surprising how complete the print is. So.much.fun!!!
Today I made a reinforced mask/stencil set of these three birds and I played with them for this post! It’s just so much fun, even if this project ended up darker than I’d hoped.
I received a call from the computer guy today... my computer’s hard drive is toast! I’ve got most, but not all, of my photos backed up. So, here’s a public service announcement: be obsessive about your computer backups. It’s not fun finding out that your weekly backups ceased months ago!
Gelli prints are a fun painting process. The results are often unpredictable but I enjoy the lack of control (some days :). Enjoy your Sunday!
Photo credit for this sawwhet owl goes to my brother Dwight. Particularly because this guy was cosied up to a cammo fence post! Such a velvety looking owl - gorgeous!